Sunday 8 October 2017

learning in the classroom

After 2 terms back in the the classroom full time, with 'just' teaching role it has come to my attention how quickly I have let the big picture float away.  It's not a good thing.  The challenge of getting to know a new class / pod, and school worth of people, not to mention the differences in how they work has been huge.  Learning to 'fit in' also means learning to let go.  Now, on a rainy day in the term break I am challenged to think what benefit my teaching has brought to my students.  And I am sure there has been some - but I don't think it's the learning that I used to be most proud of.

With one term to go until final reports, I am questioning how, during the craziest of all terms, I can possibly present learning in a meaningful way. 

To help me reignite my thinking about the big picture and true end goals of education I am reading Educating Ruby by Guy Claxton and Bill Lucas.  In Chapter 2, they look at Professor Lauren Resnick's comparison of learning in school and out.  Even though it is almost 30 years old, it is still true.  So I wonder.... What will I change / what can I change to blur the lines?

No comments:

Post a Comment